The Best Bejeweled Yet!
Bejeweled 3 is an innovative puzzle game that provides you with an addictive and challenging gaming experience. With a variety of gameplay options and challenges, this game will appeal to a large and diverse audience.
Whether you are a hardcore gamer, are looking for an entertaining way to fill a long or short period of time, love tile-matching puzzle games or simply enjoy games that keep you engaged from beginning to end, the highly addictive gameplay of Bejeweled 3 will have you wondering where the hours went.
Bejeweled 3 challenges you to match three or more gems of the same color. You are presented with a grid of different colored jewels, and your goal is to clear the board by creating groups of at least three like-colored gems.
To accomplish this, you can swap any gem with one that is located above, below, or beside it. If you perform a particularly awesome move that awards you with many points, you have the option to replay the move and the dazzling explosion that it creates, via the instant replay button.
Every time you match a group of gems, they explode and new gems drop onto the board from the top. If any of these jewels form a match when they land on the board, a cascade occurs. This is a type of chain reaction that can cause multiple cascades to occur if numerous rows of gems are matched.
Types of Gems
The gems on the board in Bejeweled 3 consist of seven colors, including purple, orange, blue, white, red, green and yellow. Unless you create a match containing a special gem, all gems are scored the same.
There are varieties of special gems that can appear on the board based on how many jewels you can match at once:
- Flame gems: Flame gems are created when you match a line or row of four gems. They explode upon matching and are destroyed along with the eight jewels that surround them.
- Hypercubes: When you match a row of five gems, a hypercube appears. This type of gem can be used to match any adjacent jewel, regardless of its color. All gems of the chosen color are destroyed after you match the hypercube.
- Star gems: It is possible to create matching gems in the shape of the letter L or T in Bejeweled 3. When you accomplish this feat, explosive surges of energy are sent up, down, left and right, destroying all the jewels that are in its path.
- Supernova gems: You can also challenge yourself to match a line containing six jewels. Although this is not easy to accomplish, if you match the supernova gem with any other jewel, it will destroy every jewel in its row and column. The powerful explosion this jewel generates will also cause other gems in adjacent columns and rows to explode.
Overall, Bejeweled has eight game modes for you to choose from. There are four game modes that are available to play immediately, and there are four that you must unlock by completing various challenges within the four main modes. Each mode provides you with a different way to experience the game.
Classic mode is the standard form of gameplay in Bejeweled 3 and the most traditional way to play the game. It consists of the basic form of gameplay in which you swap pairs of gems in an effort to create lines of matched jewels. This mode is untimed and you can take as much time as you like to devise your strategy for clearing the board and maximizing the number of points you receive. Classic mode ends when there are no more moves to make.
If you would like to relax and play Bejeweled in a no-pressure format, Zen mode is the option to choose. Since new gems are constantly being added to the board, there is no end to this mode and you can play for as long as you prefer. The unique feature of Zen mode is that you can customize your experience by choosing from one of the many audio-visual effects in the options menu. These options include:
- Breath modulation: Breath modulation presents you with audio and visual feedback that helps to regulate your breathing and promote relaxation. When this option is enabled, there will be prompts on the screen that instruct you to breathe in and out, and a pulsing wave that you can follow to modulate your breathing.
- Mantras: With this option, you can choose from a variety of mantras that will display on the bottom of the screen while you are playing the game. These positive affirmations help you to center your thoughts on specific areas for meditation. Positive thinking, self-confidence, general, weight loss, quit bad habits and prosperity are the six categories of mantras that you can choose from.
- Binaural beats: Binaural beats is easily the most unusual and unique of all the options in Zen mode. It requires you to wear headphones to listen to different frequencies that are played into each ear. The goal of this mode is to help your brain enter a different state by creating the perception that you are hearing frequencies outside of your normal hearing range. Deep relaxation, feeling more alert, clearing your mind of outside distractions and lifting your mood are just a few of the emotions that this mode attempts to elicit.
- Ambient sounds: If you choose the ambient sounds option, you can select from a variety of environmental sounds that can help you to relax and increase your ability to focus. You can choose from seven different sounds, including rain leaves, crickets, forest, coastal, waterfall, ocean surf and random.
Quest mode offers a more structured progression and lets you solve a series of 40 mini-games. This mode differs from the standard mode of play, since you complete a specific objective before the quest can be completed. Each stage offers you a number of challenges with increasing difficulty.
Examples of quests you can complete include matching 80 gems before the board completely fills up, clearing 120 gems in less than 20 moves, finding buried treasure and destroying bombs on the board. This game mode will appeal to you if you like more variety and a bit of a challenge.
Lightning mode is a fast paced, high-pressure game mode. In comparison to Classic and Zen mode, lightning mode is timed and your game will end when the time expires. This mode begins with one minute on the clock and your goal is to add time by matching gems that can add either five or 10 seconds to your total time. It is not possible to run out of moves; however, since new gems will consistently drop into the board.
Each of the four secret modes can be unlocked after you have reached a specific benchmark in Classic, Zen, Quest or Lightning mode. For example, you can unlock a secret mode by getting to level five in Classic mode or scoring 100,000 points in Lightning mode.
You can also be awarded badges for completing certain actions in the game. As you complete more challenging actions, the badges improve from bronze, silver, gold and platinum. You can earn badges by performing actions such as clearing a specific number of special gems, reaching a variety of total point values and reaching certain levels.